What are Crown?
- The crown maybe made completely of porcelain, porcelain fused to metal or even gold.
- A dental crown is a tooth shaped “cap” that is placed over a tooth to restore its shape and size, strength or to improve its appearance.
- This photo shows 2 Dental Crowns. Can you tell which ones they are? With advancement in technology, all porcelain crowns can be made so natural that they are virtually indistinguishable from your own teeth.
What are Bridges?
- Dental bridges are false teeth anchored on neighbouring teeth in order to replace one or more missing teeth. The false tooth is known as a pontic and is fused in between two crowns that serve as anchors by attaching to the teeth on each side of the false tooth and thereby bridging them together.
Crowns preserve the functionally of damage teeth, they maybe used in the following situations
- If tooth has undergone significant decay and there is not enough tooth structure remaining to support a filling.
- If a large postion of your tooth has fractured and it can not be built up using traditional composite bonding techniques.
- If you have had a dental implant to replace a missing tooth, a crown will be fitted to the abutment of the titanium implant.
- Following root canal treatment a crown is often needed to strengthen the tooth.
- If you grind your teeth and have poor diet, acid erosion may reduce your teeth to a point where the only option available is to crown them.
For a weak tooth or one with a large filling, a crown will protect the tooth and prevent any further chipping or cracking. Because of the heavy chewing forces places on the back teeth, the addition of a crown is often a preferred course of treatment to a large filling.
Missing teeth - Bridges
- If you have more than one tooth that needs to be repaired, a good solution is a bridge. Bridges are usually made of a precious metal base which gives them a solid structure and makes them hard wearing.
- If you need a bridge in your smile line, porcelain is usually added to the base to make it look more like real teeth. A bridges helps to strengthen the prepared teeth and makes chewing and eating easier because they are fixed and can’t come out.
- Some bridges can also fixed to your jaw with detal implants, if you have several teeth next each other that are missing.